11.06.2009

Faking It



I know that most of the people who read this blog have probably heard this debate a million times, but I'm sure there are a few people who haven't, and this is kind of my personal soap box.

A couple of the forums that I've been on and a few people on my campus have been debating about whether it's okay to buy fakes. Obviously in New York we have Canal Street, which for some girls is quite the temptation.

Just to get this clear:
Inspired by: If a piece is "inspired by" a designer, it's usually from a reputable fast fashion store like H&M or Aldo. To be fair, Forever 21 tends to blend the lines on this one a little farther than it should, but a lot of fast fashion stores get eerily close to the original. But the point is that it's still intended to be just an inspiration and doesn't pass itself off as the real thing.

Fake or knock off: These are usually (at least in my experience) from the shady corners of ebay or down on canal street. For some reason they usually favor those Louis Vuitton bags, although I feel like if they are going to take the time to copy it they'd pick something more interesting. These are a a complete rip off of the designer.


Of course, these are my personal definitions to get the idea of what I'm talking about.

I have nothing against pieces inspired by designers. That's what people want and the stores are simply doing business.
What I do have a problem with is fakes. Fakes are ILLEGAL PEOPLE. They are ripping off the artists, they are made with child labor and slavery, and the funding is usually used to support drug lords and terrorists.
I know, you're going to say that a lot of these fast fashion stores, (even places like the Gap) use child labor. But at least they are a legitimate business (and to be fair, I usually try and buy second hand and independently made. Ebay and Etsy baby, all the way)

Anyway, bottom line people. Please, just don't do it. It's a fake. Why have a fake when you can use legitimate merchandise to create real style? A brand logo is really just a print on the side of a bag, nothing more, and on fakes often spelled incorrectly.
If you need further evidence or just some good reading, please check out Harpaar Bazaars: Fakes are Never in Fashion.
http://www.fakesareneverinfashion.com/

No comments: