1.15.2010

Do You Want to Start This?

Sorry babes, I got in a heated debate this morning about a subject that just kicks it off for me, and now I have to rant about it here. I'm not the most eloquent speaker, but we're talking about it anyway because it's driving me up the wall.

The PLUS-SIZE ISSUE


Yeah, I said it.


Why this movement drives me crazy:


Phrases like "Big is Beautiful" "Real Women have Curves" and comments like "god, give that model a cheeseburger"


The glorification of an unhealthy lifestyle


The demonization of anyone under a size 4


The weird bi-polar effect we're getting.
The only two types of women out there are either anorexic (BAD! But still beautiful. Skinny bitch anyone?) or embracing their femininity in curves and poundage (GOOD! Real Women! Fight the man!).


Um. Hello? I'M THAT SKINNY BITCH. And I consider myself a real woman, whatever that means.

I HATE when people assume I'm anorexic or I must work out 24/7 or that I have some sort of disorder. Especially when they're snotty about it, "You eat? Like what, a celery stick?" "I could look like you too if I vomited my food and lived at the gym" "Why don't you get a boob job?". GAH!

I am what I am.
I try to eat right, exercise enough, and take care of my body so it will last me for a century or so (here's hoping). My body has it's own challenges when it comes to dressing it just like yours, but it's healthy and does what I need it to, and for that I'm grateful and consider it beautiful.


And guess what people? Women come in more than two flavors. I have friends who are pear shaped, hour glass shaped, athletic-triangle shaped. From size 0 to size 12. Women with freckles and crazy hair and cellulite and long feet. Who also have beautiful hips and lips and graceful hands.

And guess what? We're all women, and we all consider ourselves feminine.


So can we please stop focusing on the image and the number on the tag?

Yeah I realize that I'm putting focus on it right now. Wish I could help that.
I think we should all hug, and just try to take care of our bodies. We should treat ourselves and others nice, and reach our potential to be our healthiest and strongest.


Let's try focusing on "healthy" instead of "beautiful" for once.


Anyway, that's just my opinion. But feel free to throw your two cents in, I love a good discussion.


photo thanks to V Magazine

1 comment:

Erin said...

Thanks for sharing!