2.20.2010

Minimalist or Boring?

I got in a discussion with my manager yesterday at work. Obvs we're supposed to dress fashionably (we're trying to sell clothes and style after all) so we have a pretty lenient dress code. However they're constantly ramming down our throats that "MORE IS MORE! MORE LAYERS! MORE ACCESSORIES!!"

 And, well, that's just not me.

So my manager was trying to explain to me that my look was a little too simple, which he was equating with boring.

Yes my silloughette was simple. I'll give you that.
But it's not like I was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. I was in a black jaquard pencil skirt, washed silk black pussy bow blouse, oxfords, and had on my a vintage silver cuff bracelet and thin silver belt. Which I considered very chic, if a bit minimalist.

So my question is, although all of these photos below are considered minimalist, are they boring? Can real people pull of minimalist style without being seen as boring or plain?





I think you can. I personally think all of these girls look very stylish (and I love Calvin Klein for a beatifully cut dress. I ebay him more than I really should).

I think its a matter of either having a striking silhouette, or playing with rich textures. While I can't really afford the striking silhouette (you certainly pay for the tailoring, and I'd argue its worth it) but I can and lately I have kept an eye out for leather, silk, jacquard, lace, linen, chiffon, velvet and other tactile things that are very well tailored and beautifully draped when I'm thrifting, which I feel means I can get away with dressing more simply.

So what do you think? Am I just talking crazy here or is my manager?
Although, since I want to keep this job I might just pile on a few more accessories for my shifts from now on. And perhaps see if I can find some color in my closet since apparently I look like "a funeral director".
Dude. It's New York. and black is always chic.

Runway Narcisco Rodriguez and Calvin Klein from Style.com, Kate Bosworth from tfs, Mimi from her kick ass blog and store Brook&Lyn

No comments: