6.29.2010

Zen


Perhaps its the fact that I'm running in a bajillion different directions lately, maybe I'm just getting to know myself better, or maybe I just can't take my messy room mates any more (why do I always get stuck with the slobs?) but I'm really embracing the idea of zen.

Dictionary definition of Zen is:
A school of Mahayana Buddhism that asserts that enlightenment can be attained through meditation, self-contemplation, and intuition rather than through faith and devotion and that is practiced mainly in China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam. Also called Zen Buddhism .

I do have Buddhist friends, but by nature I tend to be an atheist and avoid religion like it's my job (sorry mom, Catholicism just didn't work out) so I'm not so much into the religious side of it. I am however very into the idea of simplicity.


What it means to me?
Just getting rid of all this STUFF and streamlining my life.
Saying no more often.
Realizing simple does not mean easy, but it usually means better.
Breathing.

I'm still figuring this stuff out as I go, but a great resource I found to kick start me off is Zen Habits.
Now I'm off to go purge my life.


Image thanks to Genisrp

1 comment:

Marta from With Love... said...

That is such a fabulous idea :) I

-Marta